MGA Roadster (1960)
The British elegance
“The MGA replaced the MG TF 1500 Midget and represented a complete styling break from MG's earlier sports cars. Announced on 26 September 1955 the car was officially launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show. A total of 101,081 units were sold through the end of production in July 1962, the vast majority of which were exported.
As it was so different from the older MG models it was called the MGA, the "first of a new line" to quote the contemporary advertising. There was also a new engine available, and the car was fitted with the BMC corporate B-Series type allowing a lower bonnet line. The MGA convertible has no exterior door handles.
It was a body-on-frame design and used the straight-4 "B series" engine driving the rear wheels through a 4-speed gearbox. Suspension was independent with coil springs and wishbones at the front and a rigid axle with semi-elliptic springs at the rear. Steering was by rack and pinion. The car was available with either wire-spoke or steel-disc road wheels.”
Text by Provence Classics